Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. Joshua 1:8 NLT
Why do we read and study God’s Word? I don’t know about you, but I read and study God’s Word to get a better understanding of God’s revelation of Himself to His people. I want to learn how to live my life to the fullest and bless others along the way. When reading God’s Word, I often pray and meditate in order to hear directly from God.
When studying God’s Word, you should always:
• Have a pencil or pen in hand to take notes, write down questions, or underline key words.
• Use sticky-notes, a notebook, or journal to write down notes.
• Ask the Holy Spirit to help you understand and guide you to the truth.
• Slow down when you are studying God’s Word.
• Let God’s Word stand on its own. No subtracting, adding, or twisting the truth.
• Outline your scriptures that you are studying.
• Use a Bible Concordance, Bible Dictionary, Study Bible, or Commentary to cross-reference and meditate.
When studying God’s Word, our goal is not distance, but discernment. Don’t get discouraged. Study the meaning of the key words in scripture to enrich your understanding of God’s message. Journals are a wonderful place to interact with the Scriptures you are studying. Remember, what’s really important is that when you are reading and studying God’s Word, you have to be willing to receive God’s Word in its entirety. Simply put, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.